The following article will explain how you can install ESXi 5.5 Update 2 using USB Flash Drive. You can create bootable Live USB for ESXi 5.5 via UNetbootin. UNetbootin is a free tools that allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Linux ditribution such as Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. The following are the steps for it :
1. First Download the UNettbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)
2. Keep your ESXi 5.5 ISO image on your local drive.
3. Attach you USB flash drive in your desktop.
4. Run UNettbootin software.
5. Under the diskimage browse the target .iso file for ESXI5.5 then click open.
6. Press OK to start :
7. You will see the following screen during the extracting and Copying Files :
8. If you see the below screen, just proceed by Press “yes to All” :
9. Click Exit to finish :
10. Unplug the USB from you desktop and plug it in to your physical hardware server. Make sure removal drive is the first boot sequence. Start the installation.